Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 14, 2011

Dance! Dance! Dance!


I'll be honest. I was in high school when the original "Footloose" was released. I was pretty much the intended demographic for that movie. Needless to say I never saw it. Didn't see it at the movies or on cable...and Lord knows that its been aired on TV zillions of times.

Anyways, I wasn't interested in the original and am less interested in this remake. That doesn't mean that the Weekend Drive-In can't appreciate dance movies. I certainly think that John Travolta's breakout dance scene in "Saturday Night Fever" still kicks much ass.

Of course, that movie helped set the standard for contemporary dance flicks, but there are B-gems that should not be overlooked.

These include...

"Disco Godfather"(1979): Any movie with Rudy Ray Moore is worth watching. This one is awesome! Moore plays Tucker Williams, an ex-cop turned DJ who screams "Put Your Weight On it!" as he spins records. When he's not delivering the funk, he's out to smash the local angel dust ring. I had the good fortune of interviewing Moore about 12 years ago, and he was very proud of this movie.



"Thank God It's Friday" (1978): This is pretty much the disco version of "Car Wash." My mom took me to see this when I was a kid. Loved it. It follows a crazy cast of characters during a wild night at a disco. Look for Jeff Goldblum as a sleazy disco manager, Debra Winger as a lonely co-ed, Berlin vocalist Terri Nunn and Donna Summer as an aspiring vocalist (she sings the hit "Last Dance). Plus, the Commodores perform.



"Skatetown U.S.A." (1979): This is one of a few roller disco movies that emerged in the late 1970s. It's definitely the wackiest. Plus, the cast is incredible: Patrick Swayze, Maureen McCormick (Marsha from "The Brady Bunch"), Ron Palillo (Horschack from "Welcome Back Kotter"), Billy Barty and Ruth Buzzi. Swayze struts his stuff on roller skates. It's definitely cooler than "Dirty Dancing."

No comments:

Post a Comment